Lumbar Facet Joint Injection
Lumbar facet joint injections are primarily for patients who have low back pain as a result of arthritic changes in the facet joints.
Before the Procedure
- Do not eat for six hours before the procedure, although you may drink clear liquids up to two hours before the procedure.
- Take your regular medications with a small sip of water.
- Arrive 30 minutes before your procedure.
- Do not take aspirin seven days prior to your procedure, and avoid taking NSAIDs three days prior to your procedure. Please inform us if you are taking any blood thinners.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
During the Procedure
You will be asked to lie on your stomach on a table with a pillow placed under your abdomen. The injection site is then prepped and numbed with medication. A longer needle is then inserted into the facet joints along the spine using a live X-ray (fluoroscopy) machine to ensure correct needle placement, followed by a contrast dye that is injected to confirm location.
Local numbing medicine is injected into one or more of the small joints located along both sides of the spine in the lower back.
Multiple injections may be performed. The procedure usually takes approximately 15-30 minutes.
After the Procedure
Your back pain may be improved shortly after the injection. You can resume your normal activities, as long as they are not too strenuous. You can also choose to apply ice packs to the injection site(s) up to 3-4 times a day in order to help alleviate pain. Our team will ask that you please keep track of your pain, as your response will suggest the next step in your treatment.
Ready To Learn More?
Please contact us today to schedule an appointment with our team so we can determine if lumbar facet joint injections are the ideal solution for your unique pain situation.